No Picture
News Briefs

Scottish bishops warn against characterizing religious beliefs as ‘hate speech’

March 26, 2019 CNA Daily News 3

Edinburgh, Scotland, Mar 26, 2019 / 07:01 pm (CNA).- The Catholic Bishops Conference of Scotland is warning against the government’s restriction of free speech, amid fears that the Church’s stance on marriage and sexuality could make Catholics susceptible to hate crime allegations.

“Care must be taken to allow room for debate and a robust exchange of views, ensuring that ‘hate’ doesn’t include the kind of ordinary discourse where people reasonably hold divergent views,” reads the bishop’s statement submitted to the Scottish Government’s consultation on hate crimes.

“The fundamental right to freedom of expression, and the right of an individual to hold and express opinions, even if they are considered by some to be controversial or unwelcome must be upheld.”

This comes amid a national independent review of Scotland’s hate crime legislation, commissioned by the Minister for Community Safety and Legal Affairs, and released in May 2018.

In the review, Lord Bracadale, a retired Scottish judge, suggests that “there should be a protection of freedom of expression provision for offences concerning the stirring up of hatred.”

Catholic Parliamentary Office Director Anthony Horan said March 24 that the Church in Scotland supports this recommendation.

“In a climate of heightened sensitivity there is a very real danger that expressing or even holding individual or collective opinions or beliefs will become a hate crime,” Horan said.

“We must guard against this and ensure freedom of expression, thought, conscience and religion are protected.”

Scotland has experienced significant sectarian division since the Scottish Reformation of the 16th century, which led to the formation of the Church of Scotland, an ecclesial community in the Calvinist and Presbyterian tradition which is the country’s largest religious community.

Sectarianism and crimes motivated by anti-Catholicism have been on the rise in Scotland in recent years, and Catholics in Scotland are increasingly concerned that the government could consider their faith “hate speech,” according to local reports.

The Scottish government launched a campaign last year with posters addressed to ‘bigots, disablists, homophobes, racists, and transphobes’ across the country, saying that anyone engaging in “hate speech” will be reported to police.

The Scottish Catholic Observer reports that documents released under the country’s Freedom of Information Act last week revealed that the Scottish Government had received many complaints about the “Dear Bigots” campaign. A government official stated that there are “no plans to re-use the ‘Dear Bigots’ letter in future.”

“Some people might suggest that expressing the Catholic Church’s position on marriage or human sexuality could be an attempt to stir up hatred,” Horan said.

“This would obviously be wrong, but without room for robust debate and exchange of views we risk becoming an intolerant, illiberal society.”

[…]

No Picture
News Briefs

US Secretary of State expands Mexico City Policy

March 26, 2019 CNA Daily News 0

Washington D.C., Mar 26, 2019 / 03:22 pm (CNA).- US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo announced Tuesday an expansion of the pro-life Mexico City Policy and the slashing of funds to the Organization of American States in response to its abortion advocacy.
[…]

No Picture
News Briefs

Venezuelan bishops repudiate arrest of opposition figure Roberto Marrero

March 26, 2019 CNA Daily News 0

Caracas, Venezuela, Mar 26, 2019 / 03:03 pm (CNA).- The Justice and Peace Commission of the Venezuelan bishops’ conference has repudiated last week’s arrest of Roberto Marrero, chief of staff to opposition leader Juan Guaidó.

In the early hours of March 21, agents of the Bolivarian Intelligence Service stormed the homes of Marrero and Sergio Vergara, an opposition legislator and Merror’s neighbor.

Marrero was arrested along with his driver, Luis Páez. The Argentine daily Clarin reported that Marrero is being held in El Helicoide, a government facility often used to house political prisoners. He has been accused by the government of Nicolas Maduro of terrorism and treason.

Guaidó reported on Twitter that Marrero alerted him that the agents “planted two rifles and a grenade” in his house.

The Venezuelan bishops’ Justice and Peace Commission stated March 22 that it “repudiates” the detention of Marrero and the raid on Vergara, “in the face of the actions committed by officials of SEBIN, with the authorization of judges and the participation of prosecutors from the Public Prosecutor’s Office.”

They stated that these acts “attack and violate the fundamental rights provided for in our Magna Carta”, such as personal freedom and parliamentarian immunity, “which the members of the National Assembly enjoy in the exercise of their functions.”

“This ecclesial body laments these violations and denounces them to the pertinent bodies so that they may exercise and comply with the powers that the constitution and laws confer on them in order to restore the violated rights of these citizens,” they said.

The bishops’ conference’s commission reminded “the judicial officials, prosecutors of the Public Prosecutor’s Office and the arresting police officers that they cannot justify their actions alleging compliance with orders from superiors. The consequent crimes of those actions are imprescriptible.”

“In accordance with our Magna Carta, the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, we reiterate that no individual should be apprehended and deprived of his freedom by arbitrary decisions,” the bishops stated.

In face of this incident, they called on Venezuelans “not to lose hope and to trust in the power of Jesus Christ, which is the power of love.”

Under Maduro’s socialist administration, Venezuela has been marred by violence and social upheaval, with severe shortages and hyperinflation leading millions of Venezuelans to emigrate.

Guaidó declared himself interim president in January and has been recognized by a number of Western governments, but has been unable to secure the support of Venezuela’s military.

Caracas faced blackouts March 25-26. The government has blamed an attack by the opposition, while the opposition has noted decades of corruption and a lack of investment.

[…]

No Picture
News Briefs

Guam archbishop: Marijuana proposal should be nipped in the bud

March 26, 2019 CNA Daily News 0

Hagatna, Guam, Mar 26, 2019 / 02:38 pm (CNA).- The head of the Catholic Church in Guam has expressed strong opposition to a bill that would legalize recreational marijuana, which this week has been a center of debate by the country’s legislators.

In a March 25 statement, the Coadjutor Archbishop of Agaña, Michael Byrnes, said the Guam Cannabis Industry Act of 2019 will harm the general welfare of the island.

“Certainly it will adversely affect the common good of our families, marriages, youth, government organizations, businesses and the very identity of our island as a family-oriented community,” said Byrnes.

Bill 32 was introduced by Sen. Clynt Ridgell in January 2019. The bill is currently being debated by lawmakers following a public hearing on the issue.

Byrnes said many of Guam’s people already struggle with substance abuse, and a greater promotion of marijuana will not alleviate the situation.

“While the Catholic Church permits the use of some drugs for therapeutic purposes such as relieving pain and nausea, it is clear about the evils of drug abuse,” he said, warning that many people who use marijuana are seeking an escape from the burdens and responsibilities of life.

Calling the proposal a “false solution” that will only lead to more problems, the archbishop stressed that what Guam needs is for people to be more present and attentive in their various walks of life – as students, employees, family members, and youth.

“Rather than escape, we need engagement,” he said.

He cited passages in the Catechism of the Catholic Church that emphasize the virtue of temperance and instruct that the use of drugs, “except on strictly therapeutic grounds, is a grave offense.”

While the bill would allow for the legal use of marijuana only by those age 21 and over, Byrnes said underage users will be affected as well.

He pointed to a survey by the CDC’s High School Youth Risk Behavior, which reported that 49 percent of high school students in Guam have used marijuana, 10 percent more than students on the U.S. mainland.

Byrnes said other studies have shown that long-term abuse of marijuana, when initiated at a young age, is especially detrimental to brain development and can also become addictive.

“We need our youth and our young adults – people of all ages – to be fully engaged in the various activities of their lives and our communities,” he said.

The legalization of marijuana has seen engagement from both sides of the issue. A petition at Change.org has received more than 800 signatures in opposition to the bill. However, a separate petition on the website has received more than 3,000 signatures in favor of it.
Archbishop Byrnes said the bill’s passing will “only harm the common good of our island, not enhance it.”

“As a community already riddled with a drug problem of epidemic magnitude, we need to focus on reducing the presence of illegal drugs and substances that intoxicate our people, not aid their proliferation.”

 

[…]